CARDIOGENIC SHOCK (summary)
- Confirm the diagnosis during the initial resuscitation phase.
- Rule out mechanical defects (with US) and correct any reversible conditions.
- Optimise pre-load, contractility and afterload by:
- correction of hypovolaemia (especially if right ventricle affected),
- use of vasodilators (where tolerated) and,
- commencing inotropes (taking care to limit any detrimental increase in heart rate).
- Decide early if transfer is required to offer; revascularisation, surgical intervention or access to balloon counter-pulsation.
Today’s brain teaser:
What is the topic for this week’s blog? …Did you guys all work it out?
To learn more about cardiogenic shock see this week’s OXY’s LOG…