The following is a list of academic publications authored by GSA-HEMS physicians and paramedics.
- Prehospital Blood Transfusion in New South Wales, Australia: A Retrospective Cohort Study. May 2020. Prehospital Emergency Care. DOI: 10.1080/10903127.2020.1769781. Sophie Shand,Kate Curtis,Michael Dinh,Brian J Burns
- Toxicological analysis of serious drug-related harm among electronic dance music festival attendees in New South Wales, Australia: A consecutive case series. May 2020. Drug Alcohol Depend. Eleanor Black 1, Laksmi Govindasamy 2, Robin Auld 3, Kylie McArdle 4, Caroline Sharpe 5, Andrew Dawson 4, Santiago Vazquez 6, Jonathan Brett 4, Caren Friend 7, Vanessa Shaw 6, Sophie Tyner 5, Catherine McDonald 6, David Koop 8, Gary Tall 9, Deb Welsby 3, Karel Habig 9, Daniel Madeddu 10, Michelle Cretikos 3
- Decision support tool and suggestions for the development of guidelines for the helicopter transport of patients with COVID-19. May 2020. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med.Per P Bredmose, Monica Diczbalis, Emma Butterfield, Karel Habig, Andrew Pearce, Svein Are Osbakk, Ville Voipio, Marcus Rudolph, Alistair Maddock, John O’Neill
- In‐Depth Extracorporeal Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation in Adult Out‐of‐Hospital Cardiac Arrest. May 2020. Journal of the American Heart Association 9(1). DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.120.016521. Mark Dennis, Sean Lal, Paul Forrest, Allistair Nichol, Lionel Lamhaut, Richard Totaro, Brian Burns, Claudio Sandroni
- Cause, treatment costs and 12-month functional outcomes of children with major injury in NSW, Australia. May 2020. Injury. Kate Curtis 1, Belinda Kennedy 2, Mary K Lam 3, Rebecca J Mitchell 4, Deborah Black 5, Brian Burns 6, Leslie White 4, Allan Loudfoot 7, Alfa D’Amato 8, Michael Dinh 9, Andrew J A Holland 1
- Determining the priorities for change in paediatric trauma care delivery in NSW, Australia. June 2020. Australas Emerg Care. Kate Curtis 1, Belinda Kennedy 2, Andrew J A Holland 3, Rebecca J Mitchell 4, Gary Tall 5, Holly Smith 6, Soundappan S V Soundappan 3, Allan Loudfoot 5, Brian Burns 7, Michael Dinh
- Ketamine as a Prehospital Analgesic: A Systematic Review. June 2020. Prehosp Disaster Med. Akhil Bansal 1, Matthew Miller 2 3 4, Ian Ferguson 2 5 6, Brian Burns 1 2 7
- Prospective observational study of mechanical cardiopulmonary resuscitation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and early reperfusion for refractory cardiac arrest in Sydney: the 2CHEER study.Mar 2020.Crit Care Resusc. Mark Dennis 1, Hergen Buscher 2, David Gattas 3, Brian Burns 3, Karel Habig 4, Paul Bannon 3, Sanjay Patel 3, Heidi Buhr 5, Claire Reynolds 2, Sean Scott 2, Priya Nair 2, Jon Hayman 3, Emily Granger 6, Ryan Lovett 7, Paul Forrest 3, Jennifer Coles 5, David A Lowe 2, Sydney ECMO Research Interest Group.
- First Reported Helicopter In-flight Serratus Plane Block for Rib Fractures. Sep-Oct 2019. Air Med J. Justin McLean 1, Sean Cooke 2, Brian Burns 3, Cliff Reid 3
- Identifying areas for improvement in paediatric trauma care in NSW Australia using a clinical, system and human factors peer-review tool. May 2019. Injury. Kate Curtis 1, Belinda Kennedy 2, Andrew J A Holland 3, Gary Tall 4, Holly Smith 5, Soundappan S V Soundappan 3, Brian Burns 6, Rebecca J Mitchell 7, Kellie Wilson 8, Allan Loudfoot 4, Michael Dinh 9, Timothy Lyons 10, Tona Gillen 11, Stuart Dickinson 12
- Cost effectiveness and quality of life analysis of extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECPR) for refractory cardiac arrest. June 2019. Resuscitation. Mark Dennis 1, Fredrick Zmudzki 2, Brian Burns 3, Sean Scott 4, David Gattas 5, Claire Reynolds 6, Hergen Buscher 7, Paul Forrest 8, Sydney ECMO Research Interest Group
- Optimizing access and configuration of trauma centre care in New South Wales. May 2019. Injury. David Gomez 1, Kristian Larsen 2, Brian J Burns 3, Michael Dinh 4, Jeremy Hsu 5
- Long-term Effectiveness of the Airway Registry at Sydney Helicopter Emergency Medical Service. May-Jun 2019. Air Med J. Floris R W Oud 1, Fabian O Kooij 2, Brian J Burns 3
- FentAnyl or placebo with KeTamine for emergency department rapid sequence intubation: The FAKT study protocol. May 2019. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. Ian Ferguson 1, James Milligan 2, Alex Buttfield 3, Shamus Shepherd 4, Brian Burns 5, Cliff Reid 5, Anders Aneman 1, Ian Harris 1
- Emergency and acute care management of traumatic spinal cord injury: a survey of current practice among senior clinicians across Australia. Dec 2018. BMC Emerg Med. Lisa N Sharwood 1, Shelly Dhaliwal 2, Jonathon Ball 3, Brian Burns 4, Oliver Flower 5, Anthony Joseph 6, Ralph Stanford 7, James Middleton 2
- What is the impact of prehospital blood product administration for patients with catastrophic haemorrhage: an integrative review. Feb 2019 Sophie Shand 1, Kate Curtis 2, Michael Dinh 3, Brian Burns 4
- Pre-hospital emergency anaesthesia in awake hypotensive trauma patients: Beneficial or detrimental? Jan 2019. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. Brian Burns 1 2, Cliff Reid 1 2, Karel Habig 1 2, Matt Miller 1 2, Geoff Healy 1
- Retrieval of critically ill adults using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: the nine-year experience in New South Wales. D E Austin, B Burns, D Lowe, B Cartwright, A Clarke, M Dennis, M D’Souza, R Nathan, P G Bannon, D Gattas, M Connellan, P Forrest.
- The reliability of thromboelastography in a simulated rotary wing environment. Dec 2018. Emerg Med J. Robert Scott 1, Brian Burns 1, Sandra Ware 1, Floris Oud 1, Matthew Miller 1 2
- Early ECPR for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: Best practice in 2018. Sept 2018. Resuscitation. Alice Hutin 1, Mamoun Abu-Habsa 2, Brian Burns 3, Steve Bernard 4, Joe Bellezzo 5, Zack Shinar 5, Ervigio Corral Torres 6, Pierre-Yves Gueugniaud 7, Pierre Carli 8, Lionel Lamhaut 9
- Major Trauma Outside a Trauma Center: Prehospital, Emergency Department, and Retrieval Considerations. Feb 2018. Emerg Med Clin North Am. Preston J Fedor 1, Brian Burns 2, Michael Lauria 3, Clare Richmond 4
- Pre-hospital advanced airway management in children: a challenge that training can handle. Dec 2017. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. Joanna B Watterson 1 2, Cliff Reid 3 4, Brian J Burns 3 4, Luke Regan.
- Pre-hospital pre-oxygenation strategies. Aug 2017. Anaesthesia. C Reid 1, C Hayes-Bradley 1, B Burns 1
- Mitigating risks of tracheal tube migration during transport. July 2017. Anaesth Intensive Care. C Reid, R Scott, B Burns
- Hypoxia and hypotension in patients intubated by physician staffed helicopter emergency medical services – a prospective observational multi-centre study. July 2017. BMC Emerg Med. Geir Arne Sunde Mårten Sandberg 5 6, Richard Lyon 7 8, Knut Fredriksen 9 10, Brian Burns 11 12, Karl Ove Hufthammer 13, Jo Røislien 14 15, Akos Soti 16, Helena Jäntti 17, David Lockey 15 18, Jon-Kenneth Heltne 19 20, Stephen J M Sollid 14 1
- Meaningful Interventions in Prehospital and Retrieval Medicine. Nov-Dec 2017. Prehosp Emerg Care. Cliff Reid, Brian Burns.
- On shift simulation in aeromedical operations- making it work. June 2017. Irish J of Paramed. John Glasheen, Luke Regan, Clare Richmond, Brian Burns.
- Authors’ response: Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation probably good, but adoption should not be too fast and furious! Aug 2017. Emerg Med J. Brian Burns 1, Cliff Reid 2, Rob Scott 3, Stephen Bernard 4, Lionel Lamhaut 5, Joe Bellezzo 6, Zack Shinar 7, Mark Dennis 8, Paul Forrest 9
- A review of the burns caseload of a physician-based helicopter emergency medical service. Aug 2017. Emerg Med Australas. Karina Hall 1, Brian Burns 2
- Analysis of Out-of-Hospital Pediatric Intubation by an Australian Helicopter Emergency Medical Service. Dec 2017. Ann Emerg Med. Brian J Burns 1, Joanna B Watterson 2, Sandra Ware 3, Luke Regan 4, Cliff Reid 1
- Potential complication of the cruciform trauma position. Aug 2017. Emerg Med Australas. Cliff Reid 1, Geoff Healy 1, Brian Burns 1, Karel Habig
- Lung ultrasound: a useful tool in the assessment of the dyspnoeic patient in the emergency department. Fact or fiction? Apr 2018. Emerg Med J. Yashvi Wimalasena 1 2 3, Laura Kocierz 4, Dan Strong 4, Joanna Watterson 1, Brian Burns 1 3
- End-tidal capnography tracing persists in fresh-frozen cadavers. Jul 2017. Am J Emerg Med.Ian Ferguson 1, Cliff Reid 2, Brian Burns 2, Karel Habig 2, Ricardo Hamilton 3, Mohammed Shareef 4
- Improving care standards for patients with spinal trauma combining a modified e-Delphi process and stakeholder interviews: a study protocol. Jan 2017. BMJ Open.Lisa N Sharwood 1 2, Ralph Stanford 3, James W Middleton 1 2 4, Brian Burns 1 5, Anthony Joseph 6, Oliver Flower 6, Oran Rigby 2 5 7, Jonathon Ball 2 6, Shelly Dhaliwal
- Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for refractory cardiac arrest: A multicentre experience. Mar 2017. Int J Cardiol. Mark Dennis 1, Peter McCanny 2, Mario D’Souza 3, Paul Forrest 4, Brian Burns 5, David A Lowe 2, David Gattas 6, Sean Scott 7, Paul Bannon 8, Emily Granger 9, Roger Pye 2, Richard Totaro 6, Sydney ECMO Research Interest Group.
Hemodynamic Response After Rapid Sequence Induction With Ketamine in Out-of-Hospital Patients at Risk of Shock as Defined by the Shock Index. Matthew Miller, Natalie Kruit, Charlotte Heldreich, Sandra Ware, Karel Habig, Cliff Reid, Brian Burns. Ann Emerg Med 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.03.041
Difficult Intubation Factors in Prehospital Rapid Sequence Intubation by an Australian Helicopter Emergency Medical Service. Burns B, Habig K, Eason H, Ware S. Air Med J. 2016 Jan- Feb;35(1):28-32. doi: 10.1016/j.amj.2015.10.002. I
Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for refractory cardiac arrest: A multicentre experience. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Dec 6. pii: S0167-5273(16)33093-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.12.003. [Epub ahead of print] Dennis M1, McCanny P2, D’Souza M3, Forrest P4, Burns B5, Lowe DA2, Gattas D6, Scott S7, Bannon P8, Granger E9, Pye R2, Totaro R6; Sydney ECMO Research Interest Group.
Impact Brain Apnoea – a forgotten cause of cardiovascular collapse in trauma. Mark Wilson, John Hinds, Brian Burns, Gareth Grier, Simon Carley, Gareth Davies. Resuscitation. 2016 Aug;105:52-8. doi: 10.1016/j.resuscitation.2016.05.007. Epub 2016 May 20. Impact factor: 4.17 Altmetric 61.
The relationship between cabin and outside temperature and patient temperature gradient during helicopter transport. Miller M, Habig B, Burns B, Richmond C. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Journal 2016;44:3, 398-405. Impact factor 1.3
Review of therapeutic agents employed by an Australian aeromedical prehospital and retrieval service. Hayward M, Burns B, Regan L, Glasheen J. Emerg Med Australas. 2016 Jun;28(3):329-34. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12584. Impact factor: 1.29.
Management of critical illness with Non Invasive Ventilation by an Australian HEMS. Coggins, Andrew; Cummins, Erin; Burns, Brian. Emerg Med J 2016 Jul 1. pii: emermed-2015-205377. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2015-205377. [Epub ahead of print] Impact Factor: 1.77
Paediatric trauma systems and their impact on the health outcomes of severely injured children: protocol for a mixed methods cohort study. Curtis K, McCarthy A, Mitchell R, Black D, Foster K, Jan S, Burns B, Tall G, Rigby O, Kennedy B, Holland AJA. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2016 24:69 DOI: 10.1186/s13049-016-0260-1. Impact factor 2.03.
A human cadaveric workshop: One solution to competence in the face of rarity. Ferguson IM, Shareef MZ, Burns B, Reid C.Emerg Med Australas. 2016 May 13. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12601. [Epub ahead of print]
Does end-tidal capnography confirm tracheal intubation in fresh-frozen cadavers? Emerg Med J. 2016 Sep 23. pii: emermed-2016-206009. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2016-206009. [Epub ahead of print]Reid C1, Ferguson I2, Burns B1, Habig K1, Shareef M3.
Efficacy of nasal cannula oxygenation as a preoxygenation adjunct in emergency airway management. Clare Hayes-Bradley, Anthony Lewis, Brian Burns, Matt Miller. Ann Emerg Med.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2015.11.012
Airway Management Study in Physician Manned Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (AIRPORT) Sunde G, Heltne JK, Lockey D, Burns,B et al. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01502111. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine 2015, 23:57 doi:10.1186/s13049-015-0136-9
Apneic oxygenation was associated with decreased desaturation rates during rapid sequence intubation by an Australian helicopter emergency medicine service. Wimalasena Y, Burns B, Reid C, Ware S, Habig K. Ann Emerg Med. 2015 Apr;65(4):371-6. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.11.014. Epub 2014 Dec 20. PMID: 25536868
Bilateral false-positive tube thoracostomy in helicopter emergency medical service: letter in reply. Burns B. Air Med J. 2015 May-Jun;34(3):120. doi: 10.1016/j.amj.2015.02.006. PMID:25934233
Effect of out-of-hospital noninvasive positive-pressure support ventilation in adult patients with severe respiratory distress: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Mal S, McLeod S, Iansavichene A, Dukelow A, Lewell M. Ann Emerg Med. 2014 May;63(5):600-607.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.11.013. Epub 2013 Dec 15.
Tranexamic acid for trauma: filling the ‘GAP’ in evidence. PATCH Investigators (B.Burns). Emerg Med Australas. 2014 Apr;26(2):194-7. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12172.
Trauma and tranexamic acid. PATCH Investigators (B.Burns).Med J Aust. 2014 Mar 17;200(5):255.
Sustained life-like waveform capnography after human cadaveric tracheal intubation. Reid C1, Lewis A, Habig K, Burns B, Billson F, Kunkel S, Fisk W. Emerg Med J. 2013 Oct 8. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2013-203105. [Epub ahead of print]
Comparison of the Macintosh, McCoy, Airtraq laryngoscopes and the intubating laryngeal mask airway in a difficult airway with manual in-line stabilisation: A cross-over, simulation-based study. Sherren PB, Kong ML, Chang S. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2013 May 16. [Epub ahead of print]
The obstetric caseload of a physician-based helicopter emergency medical service: case review and recommendations for retrieval physician training. Kaye R, Shewry E, Reid C, Burns B. Emerg Med J. 2013 May 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Are physicians required during winch rescue missions in an Australian helicopter emergency medical service? Sherren PB, Hayes-Bradley C, Reid C, Burns B, Habig K. Emerg Med J. 2013 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print]
Do emergency physicians and radiologists reliably interpret pelvic radiographs obtained as part of a trauma series. Bent C, Chicklore S, Newton A, Habig K, Harris T. Emerg Med J. 2013 Feb;30(2):106-11. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2011-200433. Epub 2012 Mar 12.
Algorithm for the resuscitation of traumatic cardiac arrest patients in a physician-staffed helicopter emergency medical service. Peter Sherren ,Cliff Reid,Karel Habig, Brian J Burns. Critical Care 2013, 17:308 (12 March 2013)
Helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) over-triage and the financial implications for major trauma centres in NSW, Australia. Taylor CB, Curtis K, Jan S, Newcombe M. BMC Emerg Med. 2013 Jul 1;13:11. doi: 10.1186/1471-227X-13-11. PMID: 23815080
The effects of bed height and time on the quality of chest compressions delivered during cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a randomised crossover simulation study. Lewinsohn A, Sherren PB, Wijayatilake DS. Emerg Med J. 2012 Aug;29(8):660-3. Epub 2011 Sep 2.
Primary scene responses by Helicopter Emergency Medical Services in New South Wales Australia 2008-2009.
Colman B Taylor, Bette Liu, Eleanor Bruce, Brian Burns, Stephen Jan and John Myburgh. BMC Health Services Research 2012, 12:402 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-12-402
The cost-effectiveness of physician staffed Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) transport to a major trauma centre in NSW, Australia. Taylor C, Jan S, Curtis K, Tzannes A, Li Q,Palmer C, Dickson C, Myburgh J. Injury. 2012 Aug 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Life, limb and sight saving procedures. The challenge of competence in the face of rarity. Reid C, Clancy M. Emerg Med J doi:10.1136/emermed-2012-201559
Emergency medicine in South Africa – time to catch up. Reid C, Habig K, Hsu R, Coombes S. S Afr Med J. 2012 Sep 27;102(11 Pt 1):836. doi: 10.7196/samj.5913
A potential technique for flexible scope-assisted intubation using an Ambu aScope 2 inserted via a supraglottic airway device. Chatterjee J,Reid C , Lewis A. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2012 Jul;40(4):724.
Prehospital lateral canthotomy – a first recorded case. Hill C, Reid C, Tzannes A, Burns B, Habig K, Bartlett M. Emerg Med J Published Online First: 2 July 2012 doi:10.1136/emermed-2012-201565
Critical care transport following balloon tamponade for variceal haemorhage. Court L, Fogg T, Reid C. Eur J Emerg Med (in press)
Review of Intra-aortic balloon pump in medical retrieval. B.Burns, K.Habig, C.Reid Eur J Emerg Med. 2011 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print]
Bag valve mask failure in an intubated stretcher winch. B.Burns, K. Edwards, T.House. Air Med J. 2012 Mar;31(2):84-6.
Improving documentation in pre-hospital rapid sequence intubation. R.Bloomer,B.Burns,S.Ware,K.Habig. Emerg Med J. 2012 Apr 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Bedside emergency department ultrasound in assessment of a gunshot wound. Burns,B Australasian J Ultrasound in Medicine 2012 (in press)
Experience of pre-hospital falls-related trauma by an Australian helicopter emergency medical service. Janssen, D. Burns, B. Injury. 2012 May 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Helicopter emergency medical service registrars do not comprehensively document primary surveys. S. Ware, C.Reid, B.Burns, K.Habig. Eur J Emerg Med. 2012 Jul 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Retrieval of critically ill adults using ECMO: an Australian experience. Forrest P, Ratchford J, Burns B et al. Intensive Care Medicine 2011 May; 37(5):824-30. Epub 2011 Feb 26.
Prehospital and in-hospital parameters and outcomes in patients with traumatic brain injury: A comparison between German and Australian trauma registries. B.Burns, K.Habig, C.Reid, N.Ballard, A.Pearce, M.Hooper Injury. 2011 Sep;42(9):966. Epub 2011 Apr 6.
An investigation into the cost, coverage and activities of Helicopter Emergency Medical Services in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Taylor CB,Stevenson M, Jan S, Liu B, Tall G, Middleton PM, Fitzharris M, Myburgh J. Injury. 2011 Oct;42(10):1088-94. Epub 2011 Apr 3.
Traumatic pericardial tamponade treated by pericardiocentesis. Burns, BJ. Emerg Med Austral 2011 Jun; 23(3):384
Prehospital resuscitative hysterotomy. Bloomer R, Reid C, Wheatley R. Eur J Emerg Med 2011 Aug;18(4):241-2.
Availability and utilisation of physician based pre-hospital critical care support to the NHS Ambulance Service in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Hyde P, Mackenzie R, Ng G, Reid C, Pearson G. Emerg Med J. 2012 Mar;29(3):177-81. Epub 2011 Mar 21.
Pre-hospital use of intranasal ketamine for paediatric burn injury. Reid C, Hatton R, Middleton P. Emerg Med J. 2011 Apr;28(4):328-9. Epub 2011 Feb 3
Coronary artery dissection: an unusal cause of hypoxia in blunt trauma. B.Burns. G. Healy. Prehosp Emerg Care 2011 Jul-Sep; 15(3):414-7. Epub 2011 Apr 15.
Logistics and Safety of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Medical Retrieval during the H1N1 Pandemic. Burns BJ, Habig K, Reid C, Kernick P, Wilkinson C, Tall G, Coombes S, Manning R. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011 Apr-Jun;15(2):246-53. Epub 2011 Feb 4.
Review of Aeromedical Intra-aortic Balloon Pump Retrieval in New South Wales. B.Burns, C.Reid, K.Habig. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2011; 20, Supp 2,S144
Outcomes of severely injured adult trauma patients in an Australian health service: does trauma center level make a difference? Curtis K, Chong S, Mitchell R, Newcombe M, Black D, Langcake M.World J Surg. 2011 Oct;35(10):2332-40. doi: 10.1007/s00268-011-1217-1. PMID: 21845457
Pre-hospital tension viscerothorax presenting as tension pneumothorax: a diagnostic dilemma. Jones C, Tzannes A, Reid C. Emerg Med J 2010;27:864-5
Non-septic hyperlactataemia in the emergency department. Reid C, Collyer-Merritt H, Rees V. Emerg Med J 2010;27:411-2
Google Governance: increasing the effectiveness of critical care physicians through the use of an online usergroup. Reid C, Harper S, Tzannes A, Habig K et al. Emerg Med J 2010;27:50-1
ECMO retrieval in NSW and beyond. C. Jones, C. Hommers, B. Burns, P. Forrest. Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care 2010 21;5-6: 282-286
Prehospital physician management of pericardial tamponade due to penetrating trauma. Reid C, Habig K. Amer J Em Med 2010;28:384
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS 2009-2015
SMACC Force. Prehospital and retrieval medicine pre-conference, SMACC US, Chicago, 2015. Clare Richmond, Karel Habig, Geoff Healy, Brian Burns, Cliff Reid.
Advice to a Young Resuscitationist: It is Up to Us to Save the World. Cliff Reid. SMACC US, Chicago, 2015.
When that 1% makes all the difference. Brian Burns. University of Cinncinati Medical Centre, EM Grand Rounds, Cinn., Ohio, 2015.
Aeromedical prehospital interventions. The sky’s the limit? Brian Burns, SWAN Trauma Conference, Sydney 2014
Paediatric traumatic brain injury: case presentation. Paula Sinclair, Sydney Children’s Hospital Network, Annual Paediatric Trauma Seminar, Sydney 2014
Does apnoeic diffusion oxygenation decrease desaturation rates during rapid sequence intubation by an Australian Helicopter Emergency Medicine Service. Yashvi Wimalasena. ICEM 2014, Hong Kong. (poster)
A CHEER trial in NSW? Brian Burns. Resus at the Park 2014, Sydney, Australia (plenary)
SCAT paramedics in resuscitation. Cameron Edgar. Resus at the Park 2014, Sydney, Australia. (oral).
Resuscitation and medical retrieval in the critically ill. Karel Habig. Resus at the Park 2014, Sydney, Australia. (oral).
Impact brain apnoea. Brian Burns. Resus at the Park 2014, Sydney, Australia. (oral).
Anaesthetic emergency simulation. Anthony Lewis. Resus at the Park 2014, Sydney, Australia. (oral).
Case presentation: pre-hospital & hospital. Paula Sinclair. SCHN Paediatric Trauma Seminar 2014, Sydney.
Winch operations. Cliff Reid, Retrieval 2014. Glasgow, Scotland. (plenary)
Retrieval Leadership. Cliff Reid, Retrieval 2014. Glasgow, Scotland. (plenary)
The design and implementation of a dedicated, regular, simulation coordinator shift into the working patterns of physicians working with a HEMS. Luke Regan. Retrieval 2014. Glasgow, Scotland (poster)
Avoiding the bite of the hen’s teeth. Luke Regan. Retrieval 2014. Glasgow, Scotland (poster)
Getting it right first time: a prospective descriptive study of first pass success rates in paediatric intubations conducted by a physician-based HEMS. Luke Regan. Retrieval 2014. Glasgow, Scotland (poster)
When should resuscitation stop? Cliff Reid. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (plenary)
Logistics and Winches: Saving Lives in the Back of Beyond. Brian Burns. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia
Apnoeic diffusion oxygenation. Yashvi Wimalasena. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (free paper)
Getting it right the first time. Luke Regan. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (free paper)
Phone a friend, Telemedicine for paramedics. John Glasheen. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (free paper)
Mile high anaesthesia. Geoff Healy. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (oral)
The future of prehospital care. Karel Habig. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (oral)
Resuscitation dogmalysis. C.Reid. SMACC Gold 2014, Gold Coast, Australia (plenary)
A traumatic day in May. Sanj Fernando. Developing EM 2014, Salvador, Brazil.
Trauma Day-patient 1-3. Sanj Fernando. Developing EM 2014, Salvador, Brazil
RSI in the Field. Fergal McCourt. Developing EM 2014, Salvador, Brazil
Critical care education with a global focus. Lee Fineberg, Mark Newcombe. Developing EM 2014, Salvador, Brazil.
Pre-hospital blood transfusion: a 5-year experience of an Australian helicopter emergency medical service. Peter Sherren*, Brian J Burns. Retrieval 2013, Scotland, UK.
Making things happen. C. Reid. SMACC 2013(plenary).
How to be a hero. C.Reid. SMACC 2013(plenary).
To Air is human. K. Habig. SMACC 2013, Sydney(oral).
Always carry your scalpel. B.Burns. SMACC 2013, Sydney (oral).
Trauma before and beyond the hospital. B.Burns. SMACC 2013, Sydney(oral).
PHARM-the year in review. A. Tzannes. SMACC 2013, Sydney (oral).
Acute CT Interpretation. Sanj Fernando. Developing EM 2013, Havana, Cuba.
Abdominal CT Interpretation. Keith Edwards. Developing EM 2013, Havana, Cuba.
Simulation Training. Clare Richmond, Anthony Lewis. Developing EM 2013, Havana, Cuba.
Algorithm for the resuscitation of traumatic cardiac arrest patients in a physician staffed helicopter emergency medical service. Peter Sherren*, Cliff Reid, Karel Habig, Brian J Burns. 33rd International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2013, Brussels, Belgium (poster)
Pre-hospital blood transfusion: a 5-year experience of an Australian helicopter emergency medical service. Peter Sherren*, Brian J Burns. 33rd International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2013, Brussels, Belgium (poster)
Are physicians required during winch rescue missions in an Australian helicopter emergency medical service? Peter Sherren*, Clare Hayes-Bradley, Cliff Reid, Karel Habig, Brian J Burns. 33rd International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2013, Brussels, Belgium (poster)
Inside the Red Zone. Kent Robinson. Developing EM 2012, Sydney.
Disaster Medicine Response in NSW. Gary Tall. Developing EM 2012, Sydney
Useful Prehospital Techniques for the ED. Neil Ballard. Developing EM 2012, Sydney.
Brain Resuscitation. Kent Robinson. Developing EM 2012, Sydney.
Trauma Team Training. Anthony Lewis. Developing EM 2012, Sydney.
P.Sherren. The lethal triad in burns patients :an issue for prehospital care? ASA + FNA 2012 (oral)
P.Sherren. Are physicians required during HEMS winch rescue missions? ASA + FNA 2012 (oral)
K.Habig. Novel training in Prehospital and Retrieval Medicine. ASA + FNA 2012 (oral)
C. Reid. Keeping up to date in prehospital and retrieval medicine. ASA + FNA 2012 (oral)
B.Burns. The aeromedical retrieval of patients with cardiopulmonary support. ASA + FNA 2012 (oral)
B.Burns. Improving documentation in pre-hospital rapid sequence intubation ASA + FNA 2012 (oral)
B. Burns. The aeromedical retrieval of patients on ECMO. ICEM 2012, Dublin, June 2012 (Oral presentations)
Lupton T, Lansdown A, Reid C, Burns B, Weatherall A. Pre-hospital regional anaesthesia for femoral shaft fracture by australian physicians: incidence, technique, and associated scene times. International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM). 2012 Dublin
B. Burns. Prehospital management thoracic trauma. ACEM ASM, Sydney, November 2011 (Oral presentation)
B. Burns. Retrieval of critically ill adults using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an Australian experience. AirMed 2011, Brighton, UK, May 2011 (Oral presentation)
C. Reid. Post-cardiac arrest hyperoxia – bad critical care or good retrieval medicine?. AirMed 2011, Brighton, UK, May 2011 (Oral presentation)
Reid C, Burns B, Habig K. Logistics and safety of ECMO retrieval during the H1N1 pandemic. International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM). 2010 Singapore (Oral presentation)
Lupton T, Reid C, Habig K, Burns B. Clinical applications of handheld sonography in a pre-hospital and retrieval medicine service International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM). 2010 Singapore
Chen L, Kalotay G, Reid C, Tall G, Chan L, Ware S. Paediatric mission profile of a pre-hospital and retrieval medicine service. International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM). 2010 Singapore
Court L, Fogg T, Reid C. Critical care transport following balloon tamponade for variceal haemorhage. International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM). 2010 Singapore
Burns,B Review of aeromedical intra-aortic balloon pump retrieval in New South Wales. Cardiac Society Australia & New Zealand ASM, Perth, Australia, August 2011 & EUSEM 2010, Stockholm, Sweden
Janssen D, Burns B. Experience of pre-hospital falls-related trauma by an Australian HEMS. ACEM Winter Symposium, Queenstown, New Zealand, July 2011 & AirMed 2011, Brighton, UK.
Coxon L, Cummins FH, Reid C. A One Year Review of Aeromedical Winch Retrieval Missions in the Greater Sydney Area, NSW Australasian College of Emergency Medicine 26th Annual Scientific Meeting, 2009 Melbourne Emergency Medicine Australasia 2010;22(S1):A40
B. Burns. ECMO retrieval during the H1N1 pandemic by the Greater Sydney Area HEMS Emergency Medicine Society South Africa 2009, Cape Town, South Africa 2009 (Oral presentation)
Kernick P, Cummins FH, Reid C, Trevithick S, Rees V. A Review of the Helicopter Retrieval Process for Critically Ill Bariatric Patients in New South Wales Australasian College of Emergency Medicine 26th Annual Scientific Meeting, 2009 Melbourne Emergency Medicine Australasia 2010;22(S1):A41
Kernick P, Cummins FH, Habig K, Reid C, Coombes S, Trevithick S, Williams LL, Collyer-Merritt H. The Logistical Process for Transportation of Patients on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Australasian College of Emergency Medicine 26th Annual Scientific Meeting, 2009 Melbourne Emergency Medicine Australasia 2010;22(S1):A41
Tall G, Reid C, Habig K. Competence in the Face of Complexity Australasian College of Emergency Medicine 26th Annual Scientific Meeting, 2009 Melbourne Emergency Medicine Australasia 2010;22(S1):A21
Cummins F, Reid C, Varshney K, Chan L. The development of a dedicated pre-hospital and retrieval ultrasound course for HEMS retrieval services. 5th World Congress on Ultrasound in Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, 2009 Sydney
Reid C, Cummins F, Habig K, Varshney K. Introducing Handheld Ultrasonography to a HEMS pre-hospital and retrieval medicine service: canvassing physicians’ concerns. 5th World Congress on Ultrasound in Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, 2009 Sydney
Reid C, Cummins F, Habig K, Varshney K. Implementing handheld ultrasonography in pre-hospital and retrieval medicine – from consultation to practice 5th World Congress on Ultrasound in Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, 2009 Sydney
B.Burns. Pre-hospital and inter-hospital retrieval systems in NSW. ACEM Winter Symposium,Darwin, NT, June 2009.