The next Sydney HEMS Clinical Governance Day is coming up next Wednesday, October 7th at Bankstown with a full day devoted to overdose, envenomation & all things TOXICOLOGY !!
We are fortunate enough to have Dr Kate Sellors return to Bankstown. Kate is a former Sydney HEMS colleague and an Emergency Physician from Prince of Wales Hospital with a special interest in Clinical Toxicologist.
Throughout the day we will be looking at a general approach to a poisoned patient, learning the ins and outs of the major toxicologic killers (including beta-blockers, calcium-channel blockers & TCAs) as well as being schooled in the killer creepy-crawlies that inhabit Australia !! This day should not be missed….
Prior to the CGD, it would be worth reading over a few of the attached papers/blogs to enhance our learning on the day!
Big Tox Killers in Overdose (CCBs, TCAs, BBs).
- Propranolol Overdose (via Life In The Fast Lane)
- Verapamil Overdose (via Life In The Fast Lane)
- Tricyclic Antidepressant Overdose (via Life In The Fast Lane)
- High-dose Insulin Euglycaemia Therapy (via CORE EM blog)
- Lipid Emulsion Therapy
- Myth or Miracle? (via Life In The Fast Lane)
- A review article (via The Poison Review blog)
- Demonstration video on applying a PIB.
- MJA paper: Snakebite in Australia: a practical approach to diagnosis and treatment
- Snakebite Envenoming Challenge (via Life In The Fast Lane)
All NSW Health staff welcome, sign-in required. See here for directions.